Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hike

Aiyo . Pump prices jacked up again today. The general impression is that global oil prices are easing so why this increase again? Well, whatever the reason, it has definitely helped to fuel (pun) our inflation up to a high of 7.5%.

Dh's petrol expenditure per month has been round about $220-$240. And thats on a quiet month, when we don't make excursion trips to Changi or Tuas. Now with the hike, we are prolly looking at a nett figure closer to $300? Sigh.. energy prices are just crazy. Take our utility bills. Last month, I thought I might be able to better my SP bill of the previous month but alas, it was neither better nor worse, just exactly the same amount of $150 ! Lest we forget, last month we were away on holiday for a week!

Since the start of this year, I have been making it a 'personal curiousity quest' to find out how low my utility bills can go. Unfortunately, can't seem to make much progress, not with the constantly increasing tariffs. Personally, I think I have come a long way, from days when I needed the helper to iron even my PJs (of cos I don't do that any more!). Anyhow, some measures I have adopted include:
1. washing our bedlinen once a week instead of 2 times a week
2. switching off our central water heater till needed
3. taking cold water baths instead of hot ones ( and then turning on the aircon thereafter!)
4. air drying our floor rugs (which are washed twice a week) instead of using the dryer since the rugs are quite thick
Lets hope my efforts pay off soon....