Friday, April 3, 2009

Depressing

Many thanks to Lynn who organised and bought the tickets for this outing to the esplanade to watch "LittleGreenFrog". It was great to meet everyone again, and all the mummies looked more svelte and trim than ever. Esp Cass who recently delivered her 2nd kid.
Fortunately we weren't late as dd had to be dragged out of bed (literarily) as she had fallen fast asleep. I was apprehensive about the thought of sitting on the floor to watch a performance but consoled myself that it could be more 'interactive' for dd. Alas, my hopes were dashed less than 15mins into the performace.

Sweet natured dd, tried hard to reconcile the appearance of a big, grotesque looking dragonfly with the regular real life one she had just identified with in class this week. She was appalled but still alrite until the character meant ( I say 'meant' because at no point does the character even resemble a frog) to be 'mother frog' started to show great distress (amidst loud sinister music) at searching for little frog. When I heard the music and heard the distressing shouts of the character, I knew dd would be very upset. I quickly put my arm on her, but it was too late. 'Sentimental' dd who sobs with me if I start faking a cry, started to cry at the distressing shouts of mother frog. Fortunately she soon calmed down, thanks to Lynn, who had a 'magical' bag with her, with goodies inside.

But the story got progressively more sordid, with 'little' frog (no resemblance to a frog too) acting mostly in a brattish, shrieking fashion, throwing things around amidst loud brash music. The finale was when mother frog was supposed to be killed and everyone started weeping and lamenting - with creepy, moody music to 'create' the ambience.

For someone like dd, who gets upset if her stuffed rabbit so much as gets squashed below some pillows, I really felt totally sorry for her. Should have known that she wasn't just going to sit and watch 'mindlessly' but be distressed by the weepy scenes and exaggerated shouts. I crossed my fingers that mild mannered dd would not be traumatised by the shrieking, shouting, wailing, scenes even after the performance. The cutesy picture of a frog depicted on the show's billboard was definitely off. Nothing cutesy about the show at all.
These 2 characters are meant to depict 'little and mother frog'. DD kept pointing at the 'mother' frog and saying 'auntie' despite my attempts at telling her she's meant to be a frog. Who can blame dd??? Even I myself found it hard to draw the correlation, what with the cheap costumes and all. Where were the froggish costumes/puppets with characteristic features of a frog? The mother frog looked more like the grumpy old woman who lived in a shoe with a painted face. They didn't even leaped around like frogs, they simply walked around like humans.
After the show, Jesmine suggested to go down to a cafe for some coffee. Before we could get there, pretty Tessa got into a screaming, crying fit that even handsome Yuxiang couldn't pacify.
DD was back to her cheery chirpy self when she realised she get to eat her favorite food item- bread, after the depressing show. A world of difference between this show and the Very hungry caterpillar show that dd watched and loved months ago.